September 30, 2018
From ‘How to Cook Cakes’ by Leiths School of Food and Wine.
Recipe type: Dessert
- 185g butter
- 3 Bramely apples
- 185 caster sugar
- 1 lemon
- 2 eggs
- 1tbsp milk
- 225g self-raising flour
- 110g raisins
- 25g sugar (I used dark brown)
- 1.5 tsp ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 180C degrees
- Line a 20cm round loose bottomed tin with baking paper
- Peel and dice the apples into 1cm cubes. Add lemon juice and zest.
- Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Whisk the eggs with a fork. Add the eggs to the butter mixture ⅓ at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in the milk.
- Add the sifted flour, a little at a time. Add the apples and raisins. Mix well into the dough.
- Pour the mixture into the tin and flatten the top with a spoon.
- Mix together the topping ingredients and sprinkle over the top of the cake.
- Bake for 1 hour and 15 mins.